Prepare your company for activation day. Whether you are activating on your own or preparing to activate with a Viakoo representative, you should read through this checklist.
Topics in this section include:
If your company is large or geographically dispersed, some analysis of how you want to control your regions and sites is required. If your organization has more than five hundred camera streams, you will need to contact Viakoo customer support to assist in planning your installation.
Viakoo displays data in a hierarchy. The basic organization is you have a company that may have multiple sites. Each site has one or multiple servers. Each server has multiple camera streams reporting to it.
A good way to understand how Viakoo is structured is to think of Russian dolls. Each doll represents a different level. As you move up and down each level, different information is presented to you.
Large organizations may have a large number of sites that will need to be sub divided into regions and possibly sub-regions. Each level, company, region or sub-region, may have multiple sites.
Here is a diagram showing how a company can be structure to have multiple regions. Note that region are basically sub-domains of the company domain, so you can have as many as you need. Same goes with the number of sites within a region.
The activation process is on a per-site basis. It is most convenient when a site matches a logical definition from your organization's perspective. However, because a site's data is collected in aggregate and the machine reasoning is done across the data for a single site, there are limits and best practices to maximize performance. Here are some guidelines for defining sites:
- Collection of servers and cameras geographically within the same building or campus
- No more than roughly 500 recorded video streams or 8 recorders
- Collections of recorders that manage the same cameras in failover or rebalancing clusters.
Sometimes, a single building or campus that logically should be together are too large for a single site. In these cases, it is useful to create a Viakoo Region in your Company Management page off the Viakoo Administration menu for the campus and have the many sub sites activate within that campus region.
If you have any questions, or need assistance planning your installation, feel free to contact us using the live chat feature. Be prepared to share the topology of your video and/or access control networks so we can consult with you about the best way to organize your sites.
Before activation you will need to identify the scope of your site or environment. This entails answering the following questions:
- How many Servers and/or Workstations do you want to activate? Note that it takes about 15 minutes per machine to install an agent. (the actual time is mostly dependent on the internet connection and whether all machines have been prepared for their activation).
- Which of the identified machines will you choose to have a persistent connection? Viakoo requires a persistent outbound SSL connection via port 443 to work. You will need to identify at least one machine that can have access to both the other machines in the network as well as our service.
- Is communication between the agents is open? The Viakoo RAs and CAs utilize port 10101 and 10106 to communicate. These ports are necessary for communication inside the network only - these are not for outbound communications.
- Can Viakoo CA (VCA) can reach the Viakoo Cloud? In basic configurations, this means that outbound port 443 is open. You may also have a web-proxy server between the VCA and the Viakoo Cloud (see Proxy Configuration below)
Activation requires three materials, all of which will be provided via email once the steps above have been completed.
- Viakoo Agents the RA and the CA. This is the Viakoo software that runs on your VMS servers and workstations. Download the latest agents before beginning the activation process.
- Activation Key This is the token that allow you to connect to our cloud. It is required during the configuration of the CA Console.
- Login Credentials to the Viakoo Service.
For activation through web-proxy
To activate through a web-proxy, you will need to know the IP address of the web-proxy server and, if necessary, user and password information. This will allow the VCA to access the web-proxy so that VCA traffic can be forwarded to the Viakoo Cloud through the web proxy.
For more information about Adding a Proxy Server, refer to Adding IoT Devices in Viakoo.
For activation of Switches
For more information about Setting Up Switches refer to Adding IoT Devices in Viakoo.
If you need to to prepare for the switches activation, we will requires the following:
- IP address of the switch
- Switch Community String
Both of these will be needed during the configuration of our agents.
Note: Switches are not required for Viakoo to work. They are just a feature you can choose to take advantages of for more accurate diagnostics.
For activation of IoT Devices
If you want to include IP devices that are not IP-based cameras, encoders, access controllers, or smart switches, you can add them as IoT Devices. Currently, these can be simple devices monitored through PING, or more sophisticated SNMPv2 devices.
To prepare for adding IoT devices on activation, we will require the following:
- IP address of the device
- Whether it is a PING or SNMP device
Additionally, there are the following optional fields that can help you manage and monitor the device:
- Name you want to associate with the device
- Type you want to associate with the device (useful in sorting the IoT devices table)
- If SNMP, OIDs from the devices MIB you would like collected and displayed.
For more information about IoT Device Activation, refer to Adding IoT Devices in Viakoo.
Preparing for a Session with Viakoo
If you are preparing for an accompanied activation through teleconference with a Viakoo Rep, ensure that the following are also checked off.
- Administrative access to all recorders, workstations, and management servers is available. This is most often done using a remote desktop connection.
- We like Zoom and Webex, so we hope that you can connect to either a Webex or Zoom conference from your computer. Webex and Zoom sharing helps us help you with the install.